UMBC offers a student insurance plan through Aetna Student Health. Here is a link to the overview of the policy.
Once enrolling in the plan the basic benefits are as follows:
- The insurance policy term runs from August to August each year.
- The policy has a deductible of $350 in-network and a $550 deductible out of network.
- The insurance plan pays at 80% with a co-insurance of 20% in network and the plans pays at 60% with a co-insurance of 40% out of network.
- A deductible is the amount of money you must out of pocket before any monies are paid by the insurance company. This is a fee paid once a policy year.
- Co-insurance is the amount you must pay each time to go to an outside provider based on your charges.
- In network is when you stay within the listing of providers who participate with Aetna Student Health.
- Out of network is when you go to a provider that does not participate with Aetna Student Health.
- There is a listing on Aetna Student Health that will help you navigate through providers to make sure you choose a provider that is in network.
- Aetna Student Health also has copays for office visits, urgent care, emergency room, pharmacy, massage, and acupuncture.
- The copays for UHS are listed below:
- Office visit copay at UHS: $10
- Massage copay at UHS: $20
- Acupuncture copay at UHS: $20
- Pharmacy copays: $10 for generic drugs and $40 for name brand drugs.
- Acupuncture and massage are only covered if the services are performed at UHS.
- The copays for outside providers are listed below:
- Office visit copay at an urgent care provider is: $25
- Emergency room copay: $75
- Pharmacy co pays for an outside pharmacy: generic drugs $15 and preferred name brand $40
- Non-preferred name brand: $60 and specialty drugs $60
Copays are the fixed amount of monies you must pay when receiving services from a provider.
There are no copays for any type of physical. Each person enrolled in Aetna student health receives one covered physical each year and women are also allowed one well-woman physical each year.
Aetna Student Health also includes a discount vision plan under the medical benefits. The coverage gives discounts on services offered by a vision care provider.
There are no dental benefits under the medical policy for Aetna Student Health. If a student wishes to have dental coverage there is a dental discount plan that a student can enroll in on the Aetna Student Health website for a small fee.
If a replacement card is needed due to loss, the student can call Aetna Student Health directly at 1-877-437-6535 and speak to a customer service representative to get a new card sent to their mailing address. Also, Aetna Student Health has a way to print your insurance card from its website. Directions are listed on the Aetna Student Health web page for UMBC.
If a student enrolls in the Aetna Student Health plan offered by UMBC, UHS becomes the student’s primary care provider. Students must first see an UHS provider for a referral to be able to see an outside provider for care. If a student does not have a referral for outside care, the deductible for Aetna Student Health increases to $550.