To waive the insurance requirement and receive a refund of the charge for the Student Health Insurance Plan, the student must complete an online waiver application and submit it by the deadline below. All policies will be audited by Student Health to ensure that they meet the following requirements:
- Coverage for both accident and sickness
- A minimum benefit of $500,000 (U.S.) per accident or sickness per policy year
- Prescription drug benefit
- Benefits for comprehensive reproductive health care, including contraception and maternity care, to be covered the same as for any illness
- Benefits for in-patient care of mental and nervous disorders, alcohol, and substance abuse treatment payable on the same basis as any other sickness; benefits for outpatient mental and nervous care payable as per Maryland mandated benefits.
- No exclusions or limitations for injury sustained as a result of a covered motor vehicle accident, or for alcohol or drug-related illness or injury
- Hospital room/board covered at the semi-private room rate with no maximum daily limit
- No maximum daily limit on intensive care services, outpatient diagnostic, and lab tests
- Proof of payment for the full academic year (September through May); exceptions will be made for students entering or graduating mid-year
Waiver applications must be filed the student’s FIRST TERM AT UMBC and again EVERY FALL TERM by the established deadline (Feb. 15 for spring term, June 15 for summer, August 15 for fall term). Waivers submitted after the deadline will not be considered and insurance fees will not be refunded.