Winter Break COVID Testing
New Observed Self-Swab COVID Testing Procedure
- Pick up a test kit at the Walker Management office. They will be available starting 11/30 for those living in the Walker Avenue apartments and on-campus housing over the winter break. Only those students and other specifically authorized staff may participate in this testing over this break period. Unauthorized samples may be discarded and will not be processed.
- Watch this Self Swab Video.
- Complete the top portion of the requisition form – including your status of student or faculty/staff (for these test dates DO NOT check UMBC Athlete) – and write your name and date of birth on the included label. The names and DOB must match or else your sample will be rejected.
- Apply the label to the vial vertically. It is OK if the label extends beyond the bottom, but do not apply over the cap. See the picture below (we are not using the exact vials and barcodes as in this picture).
- Winter break testing is only available on the specified dates of 12/2, 12/9, 12/16, and 1/13. You will need to sign on to your Webex account and visit the UHS Webex provider room between the hours of 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and perform your nasal swab in front of a provider. A provider will be observing one person at a time to protect your privacy. Please be patient and wait to be admitted. The provider will admit each person in order. If you have to “leave” before you are observed, please simply try later within that time period. Please be aware that according to current FDA regulations, any samples that are left in the bin but were not virtually observed in the UHS Webex room are invalid and will be discarded.
- Deposit your sample in the grey COVID Testing collection box in the Walker Management office by 4:30 p.m. that same day. Any samples left after 4:30 p.m. will have to be discarded and will not be tested.
- Results will be available as they have been all semester on your MyPortfolio portal.
If you have questions or concerns, you can discuss them privately in the Webex room during these testing hours. If you require an alternative COVID-19 testing option, please call University Health Services at 410-455-2542 to schedule a nurse visit.
Thank you for your efforts to keep our campus community healthy.